Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 15

This is fascinating! In 2001, our daughter’s Latin 2 tutor (a high school student a year ahead of her) would meet her at Barnes and Noble. It was enlightening to see the standing (floor sitting) room only “study hall” taking place every evening and Sat. and Sunday afternoons. Spots like this are where the consumers of Library 2.0 meet to have the face to face social connections we all crave.

I particularly liked paragraph 2 of Dr. Wendy Schultz’s article, "To a temporary place in time." http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm It addresses the social connectedness that a library has always provided a community. Since I have fond memories of sitting on a chaise lounge beside a roaring fireplace reading Nancy Drew in the children's room of a small town city library in Kansas, the idea of the library as a hub of the community is ingrained in my psyche.

The wikipedia article on Library 2.0 has a header about the article needing better citations. “its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations” There’s some irony here.

I’d like to discuss citations for young children, because I truly believe if you are using other’s intellectual property that you must give credit. A large % of the third graders I teach, say they have “researched” for their class but insist that they are not held accountable for where they got their information. I’m not into formal citations for this age, but I do require that they give enough information so that I can find their source if necessary. Should I be doing more? less?

2 comments:

VWB said...

I think you should be doing what you are doing..making sure that they understand it is necessary to tell where you got something!...and maybe they will take that info back to their regular class and "help" their teacher there to understand the need for it!

I'm with you on the formality of how they do it at that age...let's get the concept down first and worry with those dumb periods and quotation marks later! o dear, i fear I'm in hot water with some of my more traditional librarian and h.s. teacher friends!

but there is a time and a place for everything!

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.