Friday, July 4, 2008

Thing 12

The 10 Commandments of Blog Commenting is a great reminder that good manners go a long way in all we do. I think the article could be condensed into 3 main points.

No. 1 Read the post carefully and make sure you understand it. Ask for clarification if necessary.

No. 2 Think about your post. Carefully read it to make sure that it is polite and thoughtful. If you are going to make a correction, make sure it is an important one and necessary to the flow of the conversation. Just like email, the entire world can become aware of a response so make sure it is something you will be proud of in 5 to 10 years. This article in the Houston Chronicle reminds us again that what is posted on cyberspace stays with us. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/memorial/news/5863267.html

No. 3 “Come Back” Choose a few blogs and post often to develop a relationship.

Boggs I Read
While not a wonderful gardener myself, I love to read about plants and gardens. I’m particularly interested in what grows in and around Houston. This is why I was so excited when I found Herself’s Houston Garden. The pictures and information are very helpful for anyone gardening in Houston.

Another blog I have chosen to read is Houstonist. It has great information about what is happening in and around the city. It keeps me up to date. However, after seeing some of the headlines from it listed on my blog, I decided not to show the link on It’s a Puzzle for the very reasons I outlined in the paragraphs about blogging.

2 comments:

Mrs. Evetts said...

I totally agree with the statement, "make sure it is something you will be proud of in 5to 10 years." SOmetimes I will read or hear something and without thinking first I react, and it comes across the wrong way. As I am getting older I am realizing that this important to remember. Thanks for highlighting that.

mickeymaniac said...

Thank you for putting this whole blog commenting thing in a nutshell. Sometimes I find myself reading and still not understanding what I read. I think sometimes it takes someone who is learning right along with you to put things in a clearer perspective. Your points have been helpful.